Dortmund chief admits 'concern' over Sancho amid United interest
Borussia Dortmund chief Michel Zorc has admitted the club are worried about being able to hold onto star winger Jadon Sancho.
Sancho is Manchester United’s top transfer target this summer, The Telegraph report.
Now amid a tough end to the season for Dortmund, Zorc says the club are concerned about Sancho’s future.
Speaking at his Friday press conference, reported by the Ruhr Nachrichten, Zorc said: “It is clear that we are concerned. But I don’t want to talk about that now.”
He added when pressed on the topic of transfers, “There will be significantly less money on the market. Each club has to cope with losses – so it will not be a boom year.
“The extension of the transfer window makes sense. The situation is new and the clubs have to adjust to it. It should be until October 5th – I welcome the decision.”
Sancho is worth paying for
Sancho will cost United a top fee, possibly a record one above the £89 million paid for Paul Pogba in 2016.
That would make United an outlier in a deflated transfer market, but the club’s decision to re-sign Odion Ighalo on loan hints at a plan not to spend money on a striker, and commit all funds elsewhere.
Sancho is a top talent who will be strong investment for United over a number of years, currently just 20 years old.
He has 20 goals and 18 assists this season, although his performance along with the whole Dortmund team in a 2-0 loss to Mainz this week has prompted a negative reaction in Germany.
An extended transfer window will mean this saga will drag on and on, although that should not really be in United or Dortmund’s interests.
While United’s club season will run through to August with the Europa League tournament, Dortmund’s comes to a close on June 27th, when the Bundesliga season will end. They were knocked out of the Champions League in March.
- £70m star tells Erik ten Hag to call his agents as he opens up over Manchester United links
- Erik ten Hag reportedly contacts prolific 21 goal star over Manchester United move
- 'Negotiations are open': Manchester United in talks to sign £21m Spanish striker, 40 goals in two years
- Former Champions League and Premier League winner blasts Manchester United's lack of fight
- Manchester United reignite interest in 20-year-old who cost £4.5m and scored against the Reds last season
- 26-year-old ace shows what he could bring to Ten Hag's Manchester United with match-winning cameo
- 25-year-old ace who reportedly wants Manchester United move has 3 assists in 2 games
- £70m superstar shows Erik ten Hag what he's missing at Manchester United with dazzling display
- Report: 'Furious' Ten Hag orders Manchester United flops to report to Carrington for extra training session