Borussia Dortmund chief Michel Zorc has admitted the club are worried about being able to hold onto star winger Jadon Sancho.
Sancho is Manchester United’s top transfer target this summer, The Telegraph report.
Now amid a tough end to the season for Dortmund, Zorc says the club are concerned about Sancho’s future.
Speaking at his Friday press conference, reported by the Ruhr Nachrichten, Zorc said: “It is clear that we are concerned. But I don’t want to talk about that now.”
He added when pressed on the topic of transfers, “There will be significantly less money on the market. Each club has to cope with losses – so it will not be a boom year.
“The extension of the transfer window makes sense. The situation is new and the clubs have to adjust to it. It should be until October 5th – I welcome the decision.”
Sancho is worth paying for
Sancho will cost United a top fee, possibly a record one above the £89 million paid for Paul Pogba in 2016.
That would make United an outlier in a deflated transfer market, but the club’s decision to re-sign Odion Ighalo on loan hints at a plan not to spend money on a striker, and commit all funds elsewhere.
Sancho is a top talent who will be strong investment for United over a number of years, currently just 20 years old.
He has 20 goals and 18 assists this season, although his performance along with the whole Dortmund team in a 2-0 loss to Mainz this week has prompted a negative reaction in Germany.
An extended transfer window will mean this saga will drag on and on, although that should not really be in United or Dortmund’s interests.
While United’s club season will run through to August with the Europa League tournament, Dortmund’s comes to a close on June 27th, when the Bundesliga season will end. They were knocked out of the Champions League in March.
- Fresh Jadon Sancho could help Manchester United start next season in style
- Harvey Neville signs professional Manchester United deal
- New Matic contract can help persuade Pogba to renew his United deal
- The stats which show Jack Grealish can be a top asset for Manchester United
- For Bruno Fernandes even to be compared to Eric Cantona is quite special
- Solskjaer says Matic is ‘hugely ambitious’ as he signs new United deal
- Solskjaer says he expects Martial and Rashford to both kick on now
- Who is reported Manchester United target Facundo Pellistri?
- Can Mason Greenwood make it to 20 goals this season?