Timothy Fosu-Mensah’s ACL tear was confirmed by Bayer Leverkusen this week.
The Dutchman suffered the injury in Sunday’s match against Freiburg, his seventh appearance for the club.
It is a cruel blow for the former Manchester United defender who left the club in January.
Close pal and former United teammate Donny van de Beek sent him a message of support.
Fosu-Mensah held talks with Van de Beek before the midfielder moved to United in September.
Both players came through the Ajax academy together, before Fosu-Mensah left to join United.
The defender suffered an ACL injury in 2019 on his other knee while on loan at Fulham.
After he left the club in January, his time at Leverkusen was supposed to be a fresh start, free of obstacles after overcoming his injury.
Now it will feel like he is back to square one, and the support from his former United pals will mean a lot to helping him get through this bleak spell.
- Luke Shaw delivers passionate message against Super League
- Hung out to dry: Manchester United players deserve our full support
- Jack Kingdon sends message after making Manchester United under-18s debut
- United fans praise Guardiola comments about Super League
- Marcus Rashford expresses discontent towards United’s Super League plans
- Manchester United Supporter’s Trust issue statement after meeting with Prime Minister
- Four benefits of United finally having a full week without a game
- Manchester United a rebel with a self-serving cause as FIFA join fight against Super League
- Manchester United’s biggest wins of all-time