New signing Donny van de Beek has told Dutch newspaper NOS that he is living the dream at Manchester United.
Van de Beek signed at the start of September, before arriving in Manchester last week once the international fixtures were completed.
The versatile midfielder played in a friendly game for United at the weekend and is eager to get started.
Van de Beek said: “I am having a great time, I am living in a dream.
“I have been very well received here by my teammates. It is a real family club and everyone does their best to make me feel at home. I am very happy.”
Van de Beek’s enthusiasm is encouraging to see. It is the kind of excitement which can rub off on the rest of the squad.
In January the impact of new signings Bruno Fernandes and Odion Ighalo gave United a much needed boost.
Van de Beek may only be one new addition, but he can add a new spark to training sessions, while returning loanee Dean Henderson is also an extra new face.
There is still hope that more new signings will be made before the transfer deadline.
Van de Beek is even enthusiastic about United’s controversial new black and white third kit.
He remarked: “I’ve heard that not everyone likes it equally, but I like to play in it. Everyone’s taste.”
The Netherland international impressed manager Ole Gunnar Solskjaer in the friendly, who told the club website: “Donny was maybe the biggest plus in the outfield.
“He’s such a finder of space and he creates time for himself with his timing and movement. I was very happy with his performance.”
Whether it is from the start or from the bench, Van de Beek is likely to be involved against Crystal Palace this coming weekend.
A debut goal at Old Trafford really would be the perfect way to begin his Red Devils career.
Donny van de Beek: Player profile
- Champions League semi-finalist
Van de Beek played a key role in Ajax’s run to the Champions League semi-final in 2019, scoring in the tie. He has five career goals in the competition so far.
- Goalscoring midfielder
Across the past three seasons combined, Van de Beek has scored 40 goals from midfield for Ajax. 10 came this season, along with a further 11 assists.
- More than just a number 10
Van de Beek would not just be a back-up for Bruno Fernandes. He can play deeper in midfield and alternate with Paul Pogba, Scott McTominay and Fred.
- He’s a winner
Van de Beek won the Dutch league and club double with Ajax in 2018/19. This is vital experience for a player who is just 23, to pick up.
- International star
Van de Beek is already a regular for the Netherlands and is likely to feature at Euro 2021. Last year his reputation rose to the point he was voted 28th best player in the world in the Ballon d’Or award.
- Watford boss praises James Garner as one of most talented players in England
- Mengi or Maguire is Solskjaer’s big selection decision v Luton
- Potential loan move for Ismaila Sarr would be clever move for United
- Alex Telles would be ideal signing for United to shift to diamond formation
- Four players who would turn Manchester United into a force
- Rhys Bennett can be another defensive name to watch at Manchester United
- Predicted Manchester United XI v Luton Town
- Joe Hugill gets off to perfect start with brace for United’s under-18s side
- Report: Manchester United resigned to keeping injured Phil Jones