Bruno Fernandes warmed up for Euro 2020 by scoring twice in Portugal’s warm-up friendly win over Israel.
Fernandes scored a first half goal from inside the penalty area, stroking the ball home after he was left in too much space in the box.
Two minutes later Fernandes provided an assist for Portugal’s second goal as he led a counter attack and released Cristiano Ronaldo down the left side, who powered the ball past the goalkeeper.
Portugal won the game 4-0 in the end with Fernandes netting a fantastic goal in injury time from outside the box which rocketed into the top corner.
These were only Fernandes’ third and fourth ever international goals and his first since 2019. Ending his goal drought ahead of the Euros will be a relief for him.
It was also encouraging from a Portuguese perspective to see Fernandes linking up effectively with Ronaldo. If they click then Portugal will be strong contenders to retain the trophy, despite their tough draw.
All round performance
Fernandes looked to be back to enjoying himself, and that was great to see after seeing him end United’s season in tears.
The Red Devils’ player of the year was in fine form, touching the ball 101 times and had seven shots in total, two of which were blocked, and two resulted in goals.
Fernandes’ assist for Ronaldo’s goal was one of five chances he created in Portugal’s 4-0 win.
He also won six duels and made nine ball recoveries, while completing two dribbles.
A tough challenge at the Euros ahead
Fernandes’ Portugal are defending champions at the Euros and they have the hardest group possible.
They face last season’s runners-up France, Germany, and Hungary – who host all three of their matches in Budapest.
It promises to be great entertainment for us, and we won’t be too displeased if Portugal exit early and Fernandes returns to United for pre-season early.
Either that or he goes on to win the trophy. We don’t want any more near-miss final heartbreak for him after Gdansk.
- Five German legends comments on Manchester United bound Jadon Sancho
- Diogo Dalot posts message after making Portugal debut
- Victor Lindelof makes timely contribution to help Sweden finish top
- Manchester United fans react to Paul Pogba’s performance
- Pogba and Fernandes embrace at end of France and Portugal draw
- Paul Pogba produces another masterclass as France draw with Portugal
- Anthony Elanga’s rave reviews set him up perfectly for 2021/22
- Jadon Sancho agreement likely ‘in days’ – report
- Neville hails Harry Maguire’s ‘dominant’ performance in England win
- How Paul Pogba’s salary compares to France international teammates