Manchester United star Bruno Fernandes helped Portugal to get off to a strong start at Euro 2020.
Fernandes created three chances as Portugal beat Hungary 3-0. He did not get on the scoresheet though, nor did his teammates convert his chances for an assist.
The United maestro says he does not mind this so long as his team keep on winning.
Speaking ahead of Portugal’s next match on Saturday, Fernandes says he refuses to set personal targets.
Fernandes told Publico: “The only goal I set is to help the team as much as possible, whether with shots from outside the area or inside. What matters is that the ball goes in.”
Asked about being the player at Euro 2020 who has played the most club minutes this season, Fernandes says it is not a factor for him.
He told Sapo Desporto: “I hope to finish the European this way, just to put pressure on the coach. The most important thing is to help the national team. The team will always be more important. If I don’t run on the pitch, I’ll run in training to help my colleagues.”
Tough task up next
It is important Portugal have three points in the bag already because their next two games are against Germany and France.
Portugal take on Germany on Saturday and Fernandes is wary of the challenges ahead, while also very confident in the ability of his own side..
Fernandes told Publico: “We don’t need to ask anything about Germany. It’s a great team, with great players. They didn’t have a bad game on their debut, but France are a great team too. It will be a very difficult game for us, but also for them.”
This past season Fernandes has 49 goals and assists in all competitions for club and country so needs just one more to reach the milestone of 50.
Manchester United’s first six fixtures of 2021/22 (Dates subject to change)
- Leeds (H)
August 14 – 12.30pm
- Southampton (A)
August 22 – 2pm
- Wolves (A)
August 29 4.30pm
- Newcastle (H)
- West Ham (A)
- Aston Villa (H)
- Manchester United set to resume training
- Charlie McCann sends message after leaving Manchester United
- United announce Rashford is set for surgery on shoulder injury
- Raphael Varane says goodbye to Real Madrid after agreeing to join United
- Photos: Sancho features as Manchester United officially release new 2021/22 away kit
- Report provides update on United’s Covid situation after Preston friendly is cancelled
- Alejandro Garnacho grabs brace in Manchester United under-18s win over Tottenham
- Laurent Blanc said it was ‘an honour’ to be compared to Raphael Varane
- Logan Pye signs Manchester United pro contract
- Harry Maguire pictured enjoying holiday abroad