Bruno Fernandes was thrilled to win the Sir Matt Busby Player of the Year Award for a second time.
Fernandes collected the trophy on the pitch, voted for by the fans, in front of the fans.
This is the second time he has won it, and Fernandes joins an elite group of nine Manchester United players to win the award in consecutive seasons.
Fernandes was praised by former award winner Robin van Persie, who triumphed in 2012/13 after a fantastic individual campaign which helped seal the club’s 20th league title.
Van Persie said Fernandes’ success was ‘well deserved’, and the current United number 18 expressed his sincere thanks.
One last push needed
Fernandes has scored 28 goals this season and managed to add another assist last night, taking his tally to 18.
No midfield player in the whole of Europe has come close to matching Fernandes’ contribution.
Fernandes will likely get a rest this weekend against Wolves, ahead of next week’s Europa League final.
The game against Villarreal on May 26th is the match which really matters, with a trophy on the line. This would be Fernandes’ first team trophy at United, and it will count far more than individual awards.
One more big performance would act as further validation and recognition for his own personal efforts. United need him to help get the team over the line, and if Harry Maguire is out, he will be entrusted with the captain’s armband.
- Charlie Savage tries claiming deflected own goal and his teammates are not having it
- Ex United duo Falcao and Bebe combine to net late winner for La Liga side
- Teden Mengi produces captain’s performance in EFL Trophy win
- What is Cristiano Ronaldo’s penalty record for Manchester United?
- Ethan Galbraith impresses in cameo role to help Doncaster beat City U21s
- What channel is the Man Utd vs West Ham EFL Cup match on? Kick off time, live stream and latest team news
- Solskjaer says Rashford could return after international break
- Bruno Fernandes’ creative numbers compare well with Paul Pogba despite assist gap
- Lothar Matthaus praises Ronaldo’s Manchester United transfer
- Dillon Hoogewerf shows touch of class in Manchester United EFL Trophy win