As always, it was up to Bruno Fernandes to spark Manchester United into action against West Brom.
Fernandes scored a fantastic volley to equalise just behalf time with a perfectly executed swing with his weaker foot.
The goal brought United level and while Ole Gunnar Solskjaer’s men could not find a breakthrough, Fernandes’ goal was worth celebrating.
It was a landmark goal for Fernandes too. When you combine goals and assists, Fernandes now has 30 this season.
This breaks down into 19 goals and 11 assists in all competitions. Fernandes leads United in both categories, with a total of 35 games played.
For most players if you offer before the season that they will manage an output of 19 goals and 11 assists, they would take it. Fernandes has a far higher ceiling.
It says a lot about his sky high ability that his figures could be so much higher before the season comes to a close.
Reaching 40 goal contributions should be inevitable. He potentially could reach 45 or 50.
Fernandes has a total of 31 goals for United in 57 games. He already has scored more goals for the club than Zlatan Ibrahimovic (29), Nicky Butt (26), Antonio Valencia (24), Michael Carrick (24), Marouane Fellaini (22), Ander Herrera (20) and Michael Owen (17).
It’s impressive that he has scored so frequently in such a short space of time, considering he is a midfielder.
He is closing in on Teddy Sheringham (46), Romelu Lukaku (42), Nani (41) and Carlos Tevez (34).
Fernandes is at United on a long-term contract, and it feels inevitable he will surpass all of those players above just by the end of 2021.
Eric Cantona’s tally of 82 goals, just surpassed by Marcus Rashford recently, could be a realistic target for Fernandes over the coming seasons.
Fernandes needs to add trophies to his individual achievements before being recognised as a true United great, but he has a chance. It could even happen this season.
The Portugal star is capable of scoring all types of goals too. The volley against West Brom was another to add to his repertoire. This makes him so unpredictable and hard for defences to contain.
Fernandes created three chances against West Brom, a notable effort in a tight game, although his teammates could not take advantage. More often than not though, the United star will be a match winner. He has so much more to give and is just getting started.
- It’s easy to see why Harry Kane is reportedly interested in signing for Manchester United
- Phil Jones pictured training for first time in 2021
- Harry Maguire names United’s strongest player and most talented
- Solskjaer says Bailly will definitely not face Granada
- Hannibal Mejbri ineligible for Manchester United Europa League call-up
- United loanee Laird endures tough night in 4-0 defeat
- Noah Solskjaer manages to see through Mourinho in a way the national media can’t
- Three reasons Dusan Vlahovic is an interesting Manchester United strike option
- Paul Pogba injury may have been decisive factor in United’s stalled title charge
- Axel Tuanzebe should start for Manchester United v Granada ahead of Eric Bailly