It has seemed like a day of slow progress for United over Bruno Fernandes.
But that does not mean United do not have hope. Fernandes is doing nothing to quell the rumours.
He has been training with Sporting as he prepares, at present, to be involved for his team against Benfica at the weekend.
Fernandes posted a message on Instagram this evening, with an ‘eyes’ emoji often used to signify the poster knows something others do not.
We have described this as a cryptic message, because only Fernandes knows the true meaning of his post.
He dropped another obscure message in reply to Porto youngster Diogo Abreu who asked ‘are those tears?’
Fernandes’ response was ‘of joy’ – and we can only speculate as to why he may be feeling happy.
BBC Sport reported this week that United have held talks with Sporting over Fernandes.
But there has still been no agreement between the two clubs over a fee.
Until then we can only hope, and Fernandes’ postings fuel the speculation that something may be happening behind the scenes.
- Photos: Manchester United release first images of Rangnick in training at Carrington
- Carrick's comments on Fernandes show why Manchester United need a stern manager like Rangnick
- Manchester United loanee preparing to take on 'quality' former Premier League player
- Raphael Varane shares his reaction to Ole Gunnar Solskjaer's Manchester United exit interview
- Record breaking wonderkid suddenly needs fresh Manchester United start under Ralf Rangnick