Bruno Fernandes is always pushing Manchester United’s players to do better, even the club captain.
Harry Maguire had a chance to score against Newcastle and showed just how near he was with a picture on social media, captioned ‘close’.
Fernandes had a simple response – telling Maguire he could have scored if he went for a diving header.
This kind of response is typical of Fernandes’ drive to win. There is always something he and his teammates could do to improve, and he is not afraid to tell them.
Fernandes’ winning attitude is one of the reasons why United have had such a good year of results since he signed. Along with his relentless goal contributions too.
In total he has 34 goals since joining the club in 59 games. That’s the same number as Carlos Tevez in 40 fewer appearances.
It wasn’t all bad for Maguire
Maguire does have two goals this season, and it could have been higher, with one he ‘scored’ against Brighton classified as an own goal, and a perfectly good header ruled out against Sheffield United.
The United skipper did manage to provide an assist, his first of the season, in the 3-1 victory over Newcastle.
Maguire’s forward pass to Marcus Rashford found the United forward in space in the final third and his England international teammate did the rest.
A diving header to score a goal is probably too much for Fernandes to ask of Maguire, but it doesn’t stop him demanding it anyway.
If Maguire ends up replicating Robin van Persie’s famous 2014 World Cup goal for Netherlands against Spain, we know who deserves a share of the credit.
- What is Cristiano Ronaldo’s record like against Chelsea?
- What channel is the Chelsea v Man Utd Premier League match on? Kick off time, live stream and latest team news
- Charlie McNeill continues hot streak despite U23s defeat
- Ralf Rangnick is the perfect man to hand over to an elite permanent United manager
- Who is Ronald Araujo and why is he being linked to Manchester United?
- Cavani issues fitness update ahead of United’s clash with Chelsea
- Josh King admits blocked Manchester United move was worst moment of his career
- Carrick says van de Beek is capable of playing as a false nine
- Rangnick tipped to have same impact at United like Tuchel did at Chelsea
- Manchester United fans react to Dusan Vlahovic reports