Bruno Fernandes has advice for Harry Maguire
Bruno Fernandes is always pushing Manchester United’s players to do better, even the club captain.
Harry Maguire had a chance to score against Newcastle and showed just how near he was with a picture on social media, captioned ‘close’.
Fernandes had a simple response – telling Maguire he could have scored if he went for a diving header.
This kind of response is typical of Fernandes’ drive to win. There is always something he and his teammates could do to improve, and he is not afraid to tell them.
Fernandes’ winning attitude is one of the reasons why United have had such a good year of results since he signed. Along with his relentless goal contributions too.
In total he has 34 goals since joining the club in 59 games. That’s the same number as Carlos Tevez in 40 fewer appearances.
It wasn’t all bad for Maguire
Maguire does have two goals this season, and it could have been higher, with one he ‘scored’ against Brighton classified as an own goal, and a perfectly good header ruled out against Sheffield United.
The United skipper did manage to provide an assist, his first of the season, in the 3-1 victory over Newcastle.
Maguire’s forward pass to Marcus Rashford found the United forward in space in the final third and his England international teammate did the rest.
A diving header to score a goal is probably too much for Fernandes to ask of Maguire, but it doesn’t stop him demanding it anyway.
If Maguire ends up replicating Robin van Persie’s famous 2014 World Cup goal for Netherlands against Spain, we know who deserves a share of the credit.
- Antony suggests he will be available if Erik ten Hag wants him in emotional Ajax video message, Timber comments
- Manchester United send message to Britain's first openly gay footballer since Justin Fashanu
- Report: Manchester United could sign prolific striker for just £51 million
- 5 clubs £40m valued Manchester United man could move to this summer
- Ten Hag issues young player warning after handing debuts to 22nd and 23rd academy players at Ajax
- Erik ten Hag responds when asked about potential Manchester United double deal
- 'He is a giant'… Erik ten Hag says he can't wait to work with Manchester United star
- 21-year-old Manchester United loanee wins fans player of the year
- New United boss Ten Hag picks out the one Ajax player he is 'extremely grateful' for
- 15-year-old whizkid Manchester United signed from Arsenal makes first under-18s start