Young goalkeeper Nathan Bishop signed a new contract with Manchester United on Monday.
Bishop joined United at the end of last January from Southend United.
This deal was set to run until 2022. United have now extended his contract until 2023 with an option to add a further year to keep him until 2024.
It is a big vote of confidence from the club in the 21-year-old, who has only played one competitive under-23s fixture since joining the club, a 6-0 EFL Trophy win over Salford City in September.
Bishop has been mostly training with United’s first team and is a back-up along with Lee Grant to David de Gea and Dean Henderson.
The new contract has Bruno Fernandes’ approval. Bishop arrived at United at the same time as the Portugal international and the young goalkeeper seems to have impressed the first team star.
Fernandes sent Bishop a message on Instagram praising his personality and professionalism.
MORE UNITED STORIES
United’s plan is to send Bishop out on loan
In an interview on the club website, Bishop was asked if he feels ready to head out on loan, and he responded to say ‘definitely’.
Bishop added: “Now I’m ready to hopefully step into an environment and hopefully play 90 minutes and be able to even lead people and help people, and trust in them knowing they have trust in me; that’s what I’m really excited for.”
The youngster already has first team experience with Southend and with a year’s coaching at United behind him, he will be looking to kick on.
It won’t be easy for him to make United’s first team, but Bishop knew this when he signed. United’s coaches clearly see something impressive in him, and so does Fernandes.
The new contract is a reward for this, and also just gives United a little added protection if he impresses on loan and other teams start trying to tempt him away. A long term deal until 2024 gives United full control.
- Erik ten Hag explains reason behind Jonny Evans’ return to United
- Eirk ten Hag confirms another injury to United defender as injury crisis continues
- Bruno Fernandes’ son imitates dads Man Utd goal celebration vs Burnley in wholesome family footage
- Manchester United star was the ‘luckiest guy in football’ to start vs Burnley – and didn’t impress
- Ally McCoist blown away by ‘dream’ moment from Jonny Evans
- Marcus Rashford was in a ‘horror’ car accident after Burnley match – one teammate came to his aid
- Opinion: Ten Hag ruthless decision to axe star paid off, his relentless replacement was upgrade
- ‘Erratic’ Man Utd star embarrassingly has fewer touches than Andre Onana vs Burnley
- Casemiro and Diogo Dalot send messages to Man Utd fans after 1-0 win
- MUTV pundit gives honest verdict on Man Utd disallowed goal