Brandon Williams was taken off the pitch injured after a nasty looking clash of heads against Southampton.
United had led 2-1 at the time, and had to play out the closing stages of the match, including seven minutes of injury time, with 10 men.
This led to Southampton scoring a late equaliser which could yet have a damaging impact on United’s season. Temporarily, it cost us the chance to move up into third place.
Williams is now battling to be passed fit for United’s match against Crystal Palace on Thursday, and then the FA Cup semi-final against Chelsea.
He sent a message on Tuesday, expressing his disappointment at United dropping points, and thanking supporters for their well wishes.
Williams did not give a timeframe on his expected return, probably because he does not know himself yet.
He has to be cleared by club doctors, and he could be subject to a concussion test as he received a head injury.
The situation is clouded by an ankle injury to Luke Shaw, who hobbled off in the second half, leading to Williams coming on.
United do have options at left-back, as many as six possible fill-ins, but none are as ideal as Williams or Shaw.
Williams at least is staying upbeat, and hopefully we will see him back on the pitch as soon as possible.
- Solskjaer switch to diamond offers Van de Beek hope
- Willy Kambwala makes impressive academy debut
- United will be impacted by Everton’s double suspension
- Manchester United loanee Levitt substituted off at half-time in Charlton win
- Manchester United now have an unpredictable approach which Solskjaer must master
- Manchester United tested switching Elanga’s position with encouraging results
- Bruno Fernandes at top of Premier League creative rankings
- Three players Manchester United should leave out of XI v RB Leipzig
- Brandon Williams looks like he may have switched to right-back