Brandon Williams was taken off the pitch injured after a nasty looking clash of heads against Southampton.
United had led 2-1 at the time, and had to play out the closing stages of the match, including seven minutes of injury time, with 10 men.
This led to Southampton scoring a late equaliser which could yet have a damaging impact on United’s season. Temporarily, it cost us the chance to move up into third place.
Williams is now battling to be passed fit for United’s match against Crystal Palace on Thursday, and then the FA Cup semi-final against Chelsea.
He sent a message on Tuesday, expressing his disappointment at United dropping points, and thanking supporters for their well wishes.
Williams did not give a timeframe on his expected return, probably because he does not know himself yet.
He has to be cleared by club doctors, and he could be subject to a concussion test as he received a head injury.
The situation is clouded by an ankle injury to Luke Shaw, who hobbled off in the second half, leading to Williams coming on.
United do have options at left-back, as many as six possible fill-ins, but none are as ideal as Williams or Shaw.
Williams at least is staying upbeat, and hopefully we will see him back on the pitch as soon as possible.
- Robin van Persie raves about Anthony Martial’s performance
- Five things we learned as Manchester United beat FC Copenhagen
- Confirmed Manchester United XI v FC Copenhagen
- Harry Maguire is the exception which gives United hope over Sancho deal
- Lille chief raves about ‘immense talent’ Angel Gomes
- FC Copenhagen’s Mo Daramy is ‘crazy about United’ and has chance to impress
- Promotion for under-23s gives United a positive dilemma for youngsters
- It’s deadline day for Manchester United: Or is it?
- A Phil Jones sale this summer would be a mini-miracle for United