Barcelona register interest in signing Jesse Lingard on free transfer
Manchester United star Jesse Lingard’s contract will expire next summer and the club are doing little to persuade him to stay.
Lingard has not started a single Premier League game this season and clubs are circling.
If Lingard does not wish to sign a new deal, United have two options, either to sell in January for a small fee, or to retain his services for the second half of the season and let him walk away on a free transfer.
ESPN report Barcelona have registered an interest in signing Lingard as a free agent.
Lingard would be free to negotiate a pre-contract agreement with them in January.
The Spanish club’s cash troubles would likely rule them out of paying a fee to land him mid-season.
AC Milan have also reportedly registered interest along with Barcelona.
Lingard not short on options
Lingard is one of several United stars considering their future, with ESPN reporting the club’s players feel let down by Ole Gunnar Solskjaer.
Squad players including Lingard are said to be feeling misled by Solskjaer’s promises of playing time.
Lingard spent the second half of last season on loan at West Ham and was one of the league’s best players.
With the Hammers flying high in the table, they could be an attractive option for him, while The Telegraph report Newcastle have discussed a possible move for Lingard.
The player has lost his place in the England squad due to a lack of game time at United, and this could be a major factor in determining his future.
A change of manager at United could yet give him a new lease of life, while Solskjaer could adopt a fresh approach when United return after this international break.
- Report: Manchester United now want to sign £52m midfielder who won at Old Trafford this season
- 'I could have left for United'… World Cup goalscorer speaks out about failed Old Trafford move
- Jude Bellingham and Wayne Rooney pay tribute to 'absolutely outstanding' Manchester United World Cup star
- Manchester United prospect scores the winner for his loan club during World Cup break
- 'Very proud': Manchester United coach pays tribute to Red Devils forward after his 'beautiful moment' at the World Cup
- Report: Manchester United now set to loan out defender who said he was open to January move
- 'So good': Manchester United star can do 'mad' things with the ball, says international teammate
- 'Incredible' Manchester United star won't be fully appreciated until he's not there, says national team manager
- 'Played really, really well': Ronaldo pays tribute to Manchester United star's performance at the World Cup
- Manchester United already have the perfect partner for Jude Bellingham
- Photo: 17-year-old signs first professional Manchester United contract