Manchester United fans react to Axel Tuanzebe's performance at left-back
When Axel Tuanzebe was named in Manchester United’s team in place of the ill Aaron Wan-Bissaka, it was assumed he would be his replacement.
Instead Tuanzebe started at left-back, with Ashley Young on the right.
Going up against Arsenal’s record signing, it was a big ask for the youngster.
It was a game of two halves for the 21-year-old. Tuanzebe was strong, quick, and read the game well in the first half, recovering when he was needed to.
If being critical, there were a couple of moments when Pepe found himself in too much space, enough to get away a couple of shots at goal, but none which proved decisive.
After the break
The second half was not so good. Tuanzebe was at fault for Arsenal’s equaliser, giving the ball away sloppily in his own half and Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang made United pay.
Minutes earlier an attack had broken down when he gave the ball away, and clearly in possession, he still has to work on his composure.
To his credit, he recovered well, making an excellent interception to deny Pepe going through one on one.
It was noticeable late on how reluctant he was to get into the final third and overlap Dan James, highlighting that he was, essentially, a centre-back playing at full-back.
The error was costly, with United drawing 1-1. Tuanzebe might reflect that poor positioning and defending from his teammates was equally costly, with Arsenal taking advantage of his error too easily.
Tuanzebe’s mixed night meant a very split reaction to Tuanzebe’s performance…
- Manchester United miss out on midfielder, Romano says Premier League club agree deal
- Early transfer would be decisive way for Manchester United to kick off Ten Hag era
- Edinson Cavani sends goodbye message to Manchester United fans
- 'We are so hurt'… Harry Maguire sends message to Manchester United fans
- Manchester United star says unhappy teammates must leave, can't wait to play under Ten Hag