Anthony Martial was in great form before the break, scoring in four of his last five starts.
This took his tally up to 16 goals in all competitions, as he appeared on course to surpass the 20 goal mark for the first time in a Manchester United shirt.
Martial’s scoring has been even more impressive considering he missed two months of action with a thigh injury at the start of the season.
That makes his minutes per goal rate even more impressive.
Better than all three of Liverpool’s top stars
Anthony Martial has scored a goal every 158 minutes of action this season.
Liverpool’s Sadio Mane is averaging a goal every 169 minutes.
Mohamed Salah scores every 171 minutes, while Roberto Firmino’s contribution is just a goal every 304 minutes of action.
On the right track
Martial still has some work to do to be considered truly elite. Sergio Aguero’s scoring rate is a goal every 88 minutes.
But for a player who has flattered to deceive during his time at United and has been often played out wide, this is an encouraging sign.
Last season Martial averaged a goal every 194 minutes, and the campaign before that, it was a goal every 212 minutes.
Martial is showing positive signs of progress and becoming more dangerous. He has added five assists too for good measure.
United’s number nine can be even better next season when we have Marcus Rashford and Bruno Fernandes in the same team alongside him for the first time, and possibly Jadon Sancho too, Martial can reach new heights.
- Ralf Rangnick’s fingerprints all over potential Manchester United exit
- Manchester United transfer target wins club’s player of the season
- Alejandro Garnacho hears the words he has been waiting for, it should be third time lucky
- Bruno Fernandes and Benni McCarthy react as goalkeeper leaves Manchester United
- Manchester United path to sign Moises Caicedo looks more difficult than ever