Tahith Chong was one of the surprises of Manchester United’s opening pre-season game.
The young Dutchman scored United’s opening goal in a 2-1 victory at Derby.
Chong won the ball on the edge of Derby’s box before running at goal. He attempted to chip the goalkeeper and while it did not quite work, he scored his second attempt.
It was a goal of sheer determination and Chong made it all himself.
Chong’s goal impressed the watching Andy Cole, who told MUTV: “He makes his own luck.
“You can’t ask for much more if your Chongy. He looks lively.”
The boss approved
Ole Gunnar Solskjaer remarked that Chong really should have just placed the ball in the bottom corner first time, but was pleased to see the 21-year-old get on the scoresheet.
Solskjaer said he wishes Chong well for the season ahead, with a loan move to Birmingham City already agreed.
The United boss said: “He did well to win the ball and I thought maybe he should have finished far corner, but well done to keep going and he’s got the talent so good luck for his time at Birmingham.”
At present Chong is down in the queue for first team options after missing his big chance in 2019.
His goal was a nice surprise, but it does not mean too much more. He needs to go and prove it in competitive games.
Last season Chong netted several times for Werder Bremen in pre-season but could not transfer that form to the Bundesliga.
This latest loan is his third and he needs to seize his opportunity. If he has a strong year then United can assess him after that. He has talent, he just needs to start clicking.
Manchester United pre-season fixtures 2021
- Derby County (away)
Sunday July 18, 1pm
- QPR (away)
Saturday July 24, 3pm
- Brentford (home)
Wednesday July 28, 8pm
- Preston North End (away)
Saturday July 31, 2pm
- Everton (home)
Saturday August 7, 12.45pm
- 'Absolutely incredible'… Some Manchester United fans react to star's 'world class' performance against Young Boys
- Manchester United's 3 best players against Young Boys
- Robbie Savage's reaction as son Charlie comes on to make Manchester United debut
- 5 things learned as Manchester United draw 1-1 against Young Boys
- Ralf Rangnick sends message to Manchester United's youngsters ahead of Young Boys clash
- Confirmed Manchester United XI v Young Boys: Rangnick makes 11 changes
- Zidane Iqbal: The Manchester United teenager with an eye for a spectacular goal
- Has Cristiano Ronaldo ever scored in all six Champions League group games before?
- Charlie Savage: The Manchester United talent who wants to become his own man
- Wagner highlights challenges of facing Rangnick's Manchester United