Ander Herrera had a winning return to Old Trafford with Paris Saint-Germain.
The Spaniard was a second half substitute for PSG as they beat United 3-1.
It was a match which United could have won. It was evenly contested until PSG scored their second goal.
Moments later Fred was sent off for a tackle in which he got the ball. Ander Herrera was the player on the ‘receiving end’.
It was not the only time Herrera went down and made the most of a so-called foul. Herrera was known for his gamesmanship at United, but not so much as a diver or play-actor.
Herrera sent a message to supporters after the game, sharing how delighted he was to make his return to Manchester.
It was probably best for Herrera not to check his replies to this particular tweet.
If he thought it was going to be full of messages saying how great it was to see him again, he was misguided.
Herrera was vastly appreciated by United fans during his time at Old Trafford, but supporters have little time left for a player who ultimately ended up chasing the money.
Not after a home defeat anyway, in which Herrera’s play acting was particularly irritating.
Of course, that should be the least of United’s concerns. Bad finishing and bad decision making from the manager contributed to this 3-1 defeat.
The team need to get their heads right and refocus, after Saturday’s tricky Premier League game away at an in-form West Ham.
- Will Martin Dubravka be awarded a winner’s medal if Manchester United win the Carabao Cup?
- Marcel Sabitzer has scored more club career goals than Anthony Martial
- Report: Mason Greenwood considers China career move
- Jadon Sancho breaks three month social media silence with message to Manchester United fans
- Jadon Sancho has just solved a Manchester United squad dilemma
- Five reasons Marcel Sabitzer is a fantastic signing for Manchester United
- Predicted Manchester United line-up v Crystal Palace
- Erik ten Hag is now personally tracking the progress of Eredivisie midfielder Taylor Booth
- Paul Merson gets it wrong over Sabitzer again and predicts Manchester United could drop points v Crystal Palace