Manchester United’s dropped points last weekend ended any realistic chance the team had of winning the Premier League. But there are still plenty of reasons to be positive.
The Red Devils have come a long way under Ole Gunnar Solskjaer. They may not win the league this time round but, were it not for a few frustrating draws, things could have been very different.
If, as expected, the title is sealed by United’s fierce rivals in the coming weeks, there is another chance for the Old Trafford faithful to get excited.
If second place is sealed, and United are preparing for a Europa League final, Amad Diallo could get some much-needed minutes in the top flight.
So far, the 18-year-old has managed only cup outings. That is to be expected as he beds in at United. But he could benefit if Solskjaer is willing to give some fringe players more minutes between now and the summer.
In time, Amad will be one of the first names on United’s team sheet. However, for now it is all about managing his appearances just as Sir Alex Ferguson once did with Cristiano Ronaldo.
Signed for £37.2million (BBC), Amad is a superstar in the making. Anyone who has seen him play knows he has a rare and exciting gift.
Yet the Premier League takes some getting used to. And giving the teenager more game-time now could be the catalyst for him to explode next season.
Chances now could reap rich rewards
Amad proved his worth with a sublime goal against AC Milan. He has also bossed every U23 game he has featured in.
Now it is time for him to get some minutes in the league, with some May dates perfect for his introduction.
United know better than most how to utilise young players into a winning team. And it will be interesting to see how Solskjaer uses the next few league games.
Win against Liverpool and a top-two finish will be all-but certain. From there, rather than having nothing more to play for in the league, it could be anything but for Amad.
- Goalkeepers who have scored for Manchester United
- Anthony Martial returns to first team training
- Three early questions for Manchester United ahead of Europa League final
- Three relegated players Manchester United could try to sign
- Three questions for Manchester United ahead of Fulham game
- Fred sends message after winning first Brazil call since 2018
- It is now clear how important Harry Maguire is for Manchester United
- Why Manchester United should keep James Garner close to home after claims of possible foreign loan
- Manchester United should let Charlie McNeill train with Edinson Cavani while he can