Each and every day there is more uncertainty as to whether Manchester United will move to sign Jadon Sancho.
So if it is not going to be possible to sign him, United need to get a move on and look at alternative options.
The problem is, one signing alone will not make up for United missing out on the club’s top transfer target.
There is a combination of four signings United could make which could lift the transfer market gloom.
- Alex Telles: Permanent move [The Guardian]
- Ousmane Dembele: Loan move [Sky Sports]
- Ismaila Sarr: Permanent move [The Telegraph]
- Edinson Cavani: Free transfer [Di Marzio]
Why this would work
Sarr and Dembele are like two pieces of a puzzle which individually do not fit quite as well.
Two players are better than one, and individually it would be hard for either to burden the pressure of being the ‘Sancho alternative’.
Dembele has experience while Sarr lacks it, and he could help the Watford winger out in the short-term.
On a loan deal, Dembele would be commitment free from United, while there is extra time to sign Sarr due to the extended deadline to buy players from Football League clubs, of October 16.
Edinson Cavani is a free agent and as such, there is also no deadline of October 5 to sign the Uruguayan.
The former PSG striker is 33 and has a record of 200 goals in 301 games for the French side. On a free transfer, he is worth the gamble, and Anthony Martial could learn a lot from him.
Getting a new striker in is important and helps out both wingers too.
It would also help out left-back Alex Telles, who United are trying to sign from Porto.
Telles has excellent crossing ability and having Cavani on the end of his deliveries would complement his style.
This combination could help United forget about Sancho in the short-term at least, and give the side some exciting new options.
Only Telles and Dembele need to be completed before October 5, with extra time for Sarr and Cavani, making this a plausible quartet for even slow negotiating United to complete over the next fortnight.
- Henderson reportedly set for first United start of the season vs West Ham
- Which Eric Bailly will we see on his first United appearance of the season?
- Charlie Savage tries claiming deflected own goal and his teammates are not having it
- Ex United duo Falcao and Bebe combine to net late winner for La Liga side
- Teden Mengi produces captain’s performance in EFL Trophy win
- What is Cristiano Ronaldo’s penalty record for Manchester United?
- Ethan Galbraith impresses in cameo role to help Doncaster beat City U21s
- What channel is the Man Utd vs West Ham EFL Cup match on? Kick off time, live stream and latest team news
- Solskjaer says Rashford could return after international break