A late Bruno Fernandes free-kick off the bench was the winner in a dramatic victory for Manchester United against historic rivals Liverpool. The Reds’ first two goals came from Mason Greenwood and Marcus Rashford.
United progress into the FA Cup Fifth Round where they will play West Ham United at home.
It’s a fantastic win for Ole Gunnar Solskjaer’s team, beating Liverpool in the Cup exactly 22 years after the former-player, turned-manager scored a late winner on the same ground.
This is a left-back playing with his own brain, not Jose Mourinho’s. Luke Shaw is in the best form of his career. Against the team who have benefitted most from full-backs of serious quality, Shaw reminded United fans how much such a player can add to the team.
Rashford capitalised fully on the natural advantages he held over Rhys Williams in terms of pace and power but also experienced. A goalscorer in the second half, it was playmaking where Rashford excelled. His passing is a vastly underrated quality of his.
The dug-out ball, pinged across 50 yards, was inch-perfect for Mason Greenwood. The subsequent finish was typically excellent but the goal was all about the individual quality from Rashford. In big games where he delivers to this extent, a timely reminder that Rashford is only 23 years old.
There were outstanding displays from McTominay, Wan-Bissaka and others. But Fernandes’ contribution cannot be ignored. In this season alone, he has now scored goals against Spurs, RB Leipzig, Paris Saint-Germain, Leicester City and Liverpool. It’s the 26 goal he’s been directly involved with this season too.
United showed they can play with quality without Fernandes. Donny van de Beek offered an efficient style of play that made United counter with such quality in the first half. Fernandes offered something else off the bench; world-class quality.
- Ethan Galbraith shares video of his 20 yard rocket for United’s under-23s
- Champions League has to be big temptation for Edinson Cavani to agree renewal
- Avram Glazer refuses to answer nine questions from journalist when confronted about Manchester United
- Sam Johnstone open to Manchester United return
- Bruno Fernandes has made Manchester United the envy of clubs around Europe
- Manchester United fans launch sponsor boycott to pile on Glazer pressure
- United fans react as Mourinho set to be reunited with Mkhitaryan at Roma
- Europa opponents Roma will replace Fonseca with Jose Mourinho at end of the season
- Positive reports emerge about Anthony Martial’s recovery from injury