Bryan Robson names the ex-United star he'd have loved to have played with
Manchester United are short on central midfield options now and how Ole Gunnar Solskjaer could do with a player just like Bryan Robson.
That type of box to box midfield player has gone out of the game somewhat but United have needed someone to knit defence with attack pretty much since Roy Keane left the club in 2005.
What United would be like with Robson in the midfield is purely hypothetical and the former Reds skipper indulged in some of that himself on Twitter this week.
He was asked if he could choose any former player in history to play with, who would he choose?
On the subject of players from different eras, perhaps there weren’t too many players like Ronaldo during Robson’s playing days.
Wingers were more up and down in a 4-4-2 system in that era, centred around whipping crosses into the box.
Ronaldo redefined what could be expected from a wideman, netting 42 goals from the wing in the 2007/08 season at Old Trafford.
He then went on to new heights at Real Madrid and is still banging in the goals for Juventus at 35 years old.
Robson is still involved with the club and attended the memorial service at Old Trafford for the casualties of the Munich air crash last week.
He was captain of United when the team picked up their first two Premier League titles under Sir Alex Ferguson as well as lifting the FA Cup three times.
- 'Speaks volumes': Bryan Robson praises Manchester United star for 'dominant' World Cup display
- 'Beautiful to see': Manchester United star delighted to see reported 23-year-old Ten Hag target score on World Cup debut
- Report: Bruno Fernandes and Lisandro Martinez helping youngster try and hit lift off on Manchester United career
- 'Spectacular' Manchester United target wows Red Devils star with influential World Cup display
- 'Keep with me forever': Marcus Rashford pays heartfelt tribute to Cristiano Ronaldo following Manchester United exit