United fans react to reports Ighalo will be offered new Shanghai contract
There is a new twist in United’s plan to sign Odion Ighalo on a permanent basis.
Sky Sports report his club Shanghai Shenhua plan to offer the striker a new contract worth £400,000 a week.
It’s a staggering increase on his current wage of £300,000 per week. He took a substantial cut to join United on loan in January.
The Mail reported this week United plan to sign Ighalo on a permanent basis for £15 million.
Ighalo’s loan spell expires on May 31 and United need a solution to keeping him with the season likely to be extended.
A permanent deal is one solution, as opposed to a loan extension.
It had been assumed until now that Shanghai Shenhua would not block Ighalo’s dream move to United.
This new wage offer is staggering and gives him something to consider. It’s not easy to say no that kind of money.
Ighalo may take the view that he has earned plenty already and will still be paid handsomely at Old Trafford.
He is playing for the club he supported as a young kid and he is living his dream.
From Shanghai’s perspective, if Ighalo is under a longer contract, then they can potentially demand a higher transfer fee.
What had seemed like a straightforward deal and a matter of formality may not be so simple.
Ighalo has scored four goals in three starts for United since signing and has been a pleasant surprise.
Here is a look at how United fans reacted on social media to the reports…
- Ajax star backs Erik ten Hag for trophies at Manchester United in emotional message
- Paul Pogba drops cryptic 'see you soon' message to Paulo Dybala, who is set to leave Juventus
- Antony suggests he will be available if Erik ten Hag wants him in emotional Ajax video message, Timber comments
- Manchester United send message to Britain's first openly gay footballer since Justin Fashanu
- Report: Manchester United could sign prolific striker for just £51 million