There is a new twist in United’s plan to sign Odion Ighalo on a permanent basis.
Sky Sports report his club Shanghai Shenhua plan to offer the striker a new contract worth £400,000 a week.
It’s a staggering increase on his current wage of £300,000 per week. He took a substantial cut to join United on loan in January.
The Mail reported this week United plan to sign Ighalo on a permanent basis for £15 million.
Ighalo’s loan spell expires on May 31 and United need a solution to keeping him with the season likely to be extended.
A permanent deal is one solution, as opposed to a loan extension.
It had been assumed until now that Shanghai Shenhua would not block Ighalo’s dream move to United.
This new wage offer is staggering and gives him something to consider. It’s not easy to say no that kind of money.
Ighalo may take the view that he has earned plenty already and will still be paid handsomely at Old Trafford.
He is playing for the club he supported as a young kid and he is living his dream.
From Shanghai’s perspective, if Ighalo is under a longer contract, then they can potentially demand a higher transfer fee.
What had seemed like a straightforward deal and a matter of formality may not be so simple.
Ighalo has scored four goals in three starts for United since signing and has been a pleasant surprise.
Here is a look at how United fans reacted on social media to the reports…
- David Brooks would be a smart Sancho alternative for Manchester United this summer
- If Manchester United have ruled out permanent Ighalo move, they must focus on Dembele
- Manchester United could see reported target Nuno Mendes as a winger in the long term
- Ethan Galbraith must impress on loan to jump ahead of Levitt and Garner at Manchester United
- Teden Mengi deserves to replace Phil Jones in Manchester United squad