There is a new twist in United’s plan to sign Odion Ighalo on a permanent basis.
Sky Sports report his club Shanghai Shenhua plan to offer the striker a new contract worth £400,000 a week.
It’s a staggering increase on his current wage of £300,000 per week. He took a substantial cut to join United on loan in January.
The Mail reported this week United plan to sign Ighalo on a permanent basis for £15 million.
Ighalo’s loan spell expires on May 31 and United need a solution to keeping him with the season likely to be extended.
A permanent deal is one solution, as opposed to a loan extension.
It had been assumed until now that Shanghai Shenhua would not block Ighalo’s dream move to United.
This new wage offer is staggering and gives him something to consider. It’s not easy to say no that kind of money.
Ighalo may take the view that he has earned plenty already and will still be paid handsomely at Old Trafford.
He is playing for the club he supported as a young kid and he is living his dream.
From Shanghai’s perspective, if Ighalo is under a longer contract, then they can potentially demand a higher transfer fee.
What had seemed like a straightforward deal and a matter of formality may not be so simple.
Ighalo has scored four goals in three starts for United since signing and has been a pleasant surprise.
Here is a look at how United fans reacted on social media to the reports…
- Amad Diallo’s Manchester United debut is looking more and more likely
- Three Portugal based players Manchester United should be monitoring
- Manchester United said to be keen on Bayern youngster Jamal Musiala
- Lindelof’s Anfield display is all the more impressive after Solskjaer admission
- Phil Neville has a harsh reminder for son Harvey after under-23 defeat