United fans react to Harry Maguire's performance for England
Harry Maguire made his return for England at the weekend in a win over Belgium.
It could turn out to be the game the under pressure Manchester United defender needed.
Maguire has had a poor start to the season and he was particularly bad in United’s defeat to Tottenham before the international break.
It is possible he has been affected by his summer arrest in Greece, which also saw him miss the previous England squad.
Gareth Southgate recalled him for Sunday’s friendly with Belgium and he played all 90 minutes in the 2-1 win.
This game may have a calming effect on Maguire. He sent a message after the game expressing his delight at being recalled.
There were no individual mistakes this time. Maguire kept it simple.
He was playing as part of a back three along with Conor Coady and Eric Dier.
This is one tactical adjustment Ole Gunnar Solskjaer could consider making for United after the break, as he did at this time last season.
Maguire touched the ball 90 times, completing 95 per cent of his passes, while making two interceptions and two clearances.
This was the kind of simple and calm performance Maguire needed, against quality opposition too.
United teammate Marcus Rashford was on the scoresheet, netting a first half penalty.
United need Maguire to get back on track. This game was an encouraging sign he can do so.
Here is a look at some of the reaction to his performance…
- Manchester United look to accelerate 24-year-old's departure to reunite Ten Hag with 17-time international
- Manchester United wonderkid set to become 7th Reds youngster to join Championship side on loan in PL era
- Guillem Balague says Cristiano Ronaldo departure from Manchester United being worked on
- Manchester United prepared to wait until deadline day to sell 28-year-old on permanent deal
- Mick Beale explains why QPR fans should be “really excited” about Manchester United loanee Ethan Laird
- 26-year-old Manchester United ace gives Erik ten Hag timely boost
- Erik ten Hag could be about to have his own Danny Welbeck moment
- 'I would never'… Pundit warns over 'very dangerous' Manchester United signing strategy
- 'Big moments'… One Manchester United owned player ended weekend with manager signing his praises