Harry Maguire made his return for England at the weekend in a win over Belgium.
It could turn out to be the game the under pressure Manchester United defender needed.
Maguire has had a poor start to the season and he was particularly bad in United’s defeat to Tottenham before the international break.
It is possible he has been affected by his summer arrest in Greece, which also saw him miss the previous England squad.
Gareth Southgate recalled him for Sunday’s friendly with Belgium and he played all 90 minutes in the 2-1 win.
This game may have a calming effect on Maguire. He sent a message after the game expressing his delight at being recalled.
There were no individual mistakes this time. Maguire kept it simple.
He was playing as part of a back three along with Conor Coady and Eric Dier.
This is one tactical adjustment Ole Gunnar Solskjaer could consider making for United after the break, as he did at this time last season.
Maguire touched the ball 90 times, completing 95 per cent of his passes, while making two interceptions and two clearances.
This was the kind of simple and calm performance Maguire needed, against quality opposition too.
United teammate Marcus Rashford was on the scoresheet, netting a first half penalty.
United need Maguire to get back on track. This game was an encouraging sign he can do so.
Here is a look at some of the reaction to his performance…
- Newcastle targeting loan deal for Manchester United ace, prepared to cover 100% of wages
- What channel is Brentford v Manchester United on? Kick off time, live stream and team news
- Manchester United will need to move the ball quickly to bypass Brentford's top-tackler
- Rangnick says £50m man is set to miss Manchester United's next two Premier League games
- One of Manchester United's top manager targets gets easier as club contact replacement
- 4-2-3-1: Predicted Manchester United XI v Brentford: Elanga and Ronaldo to start
- £100m star pursuit leaves Manchester United at risk of another critical mistake
- Rangnick says £73m Manchester United star is 'one of the best in training sessions'
- Photo: 18-year-old talent signs first Manchester United professional contract