United fans react to Harry Maguire's performance for England
Harry Maguire made his return for England at the weekend in a win over Belgium.
It could turn out to be the game the under pressure Manchester United defender needed.
Maguire has had a poor start to the season and he was particularly bad in United’s defeat to Tottenham before the international break.
It is possible he has been affected by his summer arrest in Greece, which also saw him miss the previous England squad.
Gareth Southgate recalled him for Sunday’s friendly with Belgium and he played all 90 minutes in the 2-1 win.
This game may have a calming effect on Maguire. He sent a message after the game expressing his delight at being recalled.
There were no individual mistakes this time. Maguire kept it simple.
He was playing as part of a back three along with Conor Coady and Eric Dier.
This is one tactical adjustment Ole Gunnar Solskjaer could consider making for United after the break, as he did at this time last season.
Maguire touched the ball 90 times, completing 95 per cent of his passes, while making two interceptions and two clearances.
This was the kind of simple and calm performance Maguire needed, against quality opposition too.
United teammate Marcus Rashford was on the scoresheet, netting a first half penalty.
United need Maguire to get back on track. This game was an encouraging sign he can do so.
Here is a look at some of the reaction to his performance…
- Report: Manchester United now want to sign £52m midfielder who won at Old Trafford this season
- 'I could have left for United'… World Cup goalscorer speaks out about failed Old Trafford move
- Jude Bellingham and Wayne Rooney pay tribute to 'absolutely outstanding' Manchester United World Cup star
- Manchester United prospect scores the winner for his loan club during World Cup break
- 'Very proud': Manchester United coach pays tribute to Red Devils forward after his 'beautiful moment' at the World Cup
- Report: Manchester United now set to loan out defender who said he was open to January move
- 'So good': Manchester United star can do 'mad' things with the ball, says international teammate
- 'Incredible' Manchester United star won't be fully appreciated until he's not there, says national team manager
- 'Played really, really well': Ronaldo pays tribute to Manchester United star's performance at the World Cup