Nobody wants to get too carried away after one game against Tranmere. But Diogo Dalot looked pretty good at Prenton Park.
It was good to see the Portuguese playing, starting his first match since early October.
The best feature of Dalot’s game are his attacking abilities and he got plenty of opportunity to showcase himself against Tranmere.
Dalot scored United’s second goal in the 6-0 win, displaying some nifty footwork before stroking the ball into the corner.
He linked up well with his teammates, making good runs forward and getting into threatening positions. While he was a little wasteful in the second half at times (his 70 per cent pass completion was the lowest of any United player), this was a positive display from the 20-year-old.
More opportunities to come
Dalot could give United a big boost in the final few months of the season.
He lined up in a wing-back role with United playing three central defenders. This game him chance to get forward.
Dalot has the ability to play both as a right-back and on the right wing. United lack options on the wing and it makes some sense to give him more chances there, with Aaron Wan-Bissaka at right-back.
Wan-Bissaka may need a bit of a rest too, physically and mentally, from a busy first half of the campaign.
Dalot has shown enough to demonstrate he deserves chances to state his case, and help United out.
The best is yet to come from him, and supporters were pleased with his contribution…
- Talented Manchester United duo celebrate after making their full international debuts
- Ex Manchester United youngster Josh Harrop looks to relaunch his career at new club
- 10 goal contributions in 5 under-23 games: United have made great decision over wonderkid
- 'Don't get involved'… New Manchester United CEO warned not to interfere
- Mason Greenwood reacts as United teammate Amad seals loan move to Rangers