Brandon Williams was given a tough task to try and subdue Adama Traore at Molineux.
He passed the test with flying colours, helping United to keep a clean sheet.
Williams was effective in matching Traore for pace, blocking his crosses, and not allowing him to get near enough to the United goal to really threaten.
We had said in the lead up to the game that United couldn’t afford to play Luke Shaw there after his display against Arsenal.
Williams stepped up and showed he was more than capable, and probably should have started at The Emirates too.
Traore helped destroy City a week ago. Against United he did not manage a shot all game.
What was most impressive about Williams was that he didn’t change his style due to Traore’s threat.
He bombed forward whenever he got the chance and was harshly denied a penalty in the first half.
He made a number of runs forward which could have put him through on goal had his teammates found him in space.
Williams’ performance was a statement. It was a sign he should become United’s first choice left-back.
In 10 matches he has started this season, United are unbeaten. That’s a great record for a teenager in an important defensive position.
Williams has supporters won over already. Here’s a look at the reaction to his performance…
- Uruguay manager and South American press react to Facundo Pellistri's debut performance
- Manchester United warned 'extraordinary offer' required to sign midfielder
- Karim Benzema sends message to Manchester United star
- Report: Young Manchester United forward set for medical ahead of imminent loan move
- Manager delighted to sign 'wonderful' Manchester United defensive talent on loan