When the Premier League season ended on July 26 and Manchester United qualified for the Champions League, fans hoped to see a strong statement in the transfer market.
So far there has been a moderate improvement at best, with only Donny van de Beek signed, just five days before the Premier League season starts.
Jadon Sancho was the top target, and so far there remains a stalemate between United and Borussia Dortmund.
United have not given up on getting a deal done, with BBC Sport reporting last week that the club had got closer to agreeing personal terms and agent fees to sign the player.
However, there is still not an agreement with Borussia Dortmund. BBC Sport reported on Monday that the German side will keep the player.
It seems only if United pay up Dortmund’s £108 million asking price will they sell, and currently the Red Devils do not intend to do so.
He’s carrying on
Sancho returned to Germany after the international fixtures and he was in action for Dortmund last night in their cup game against Duisburg.
It took the winger just 14 minutes to get on the scoresheet, from the penalty spot, as Dortmund overwhelmed the lower tier opposition.
He linked up well with another United near miss, Jude Bellingham, who netted his side’s second goal.
Speaking before the game, club director Sebastian Kehl was quoted by FussballTransfers saying: “Jadon Sancho will play for BVB this season.”
United have not given up and there may be a late twist, but with every passing day, this looks like a tougher deal to do.
The club’s reported list of back up options is uninspired, with The Telegraph reporting United could turn to Gareth Bale, Ivan Perisic or Douglas Costa, who is the youngest of the trio at 29.
The whole saga has totally frustrated supporters, who have been venting on social media about the seemingly backwards way United have gone about the club’s business this summer, with just one player signed so far.
- Luke Shaw calls for Manchester United to sign more players
- Solskjaer praises Donny van de Beek as midfielder sends message to fans
- Manchester United’s season feels over before it has really begun
- Six things learned as Manchester United lose to Crystal Palace
- Confirmed Manchester United line up v Crystal Palace
- Teden Mengi could have early season chance to impress for Manchester United
- How Donny van de Beek can use Manchester United fan frustration as motivation
- Four reasons for Manchester United to be optimistic
- Solskjaer tips Eric Bailly for big role in 2020/21