There was a really positive breakthrough last night for Manchester United over Bruno Fernandes.
BBC Sport report United are close to sealing a deal for the midfielder, having made a breakthrough in negotiations.
Amid a desert of negativity amid the fanbase which the board have created with their inaction this January, the Fernandes reports seemed like a mirage.
There have been so many false dawns over Fernandes this month, the joy and excitement has been sucked out of the transfer.
The deal is necessary, rather than a luxury, and it has been frustrating that it has taken so long to get to this stage.
We are a little nervous that there will be a late hitch, nothing is ever straightforward with United these days, but ESPN report United are ‘confident’.
Anger still palpable
If blundering chief executive Ed Woodward thought this would change the narrative, and have supporters hailing him, he is wrong.
United have wasted so much time this transfer window, on a saga which could have been closed almost two weeks ago if the club paid the money.
United have won just three out of eight matches in January and the squad has looked shattered, with injuries hitting key players.
There has not been enough urgency to address the problems, and the way the Fernandes saga has been conducted epitomises this.
It is a really positive development to be so close to signing Fernandes, it’s what we want. But this could have been handled a lot better.
We asked how fans felt about the latest reports…
- Manchester United star sets all-time Premier League record in Red Devils win
- Some Manchester United fans react to Anthony Martial's performance
- Paul Pogba reacts to Manchester United's 1-0 win over West Ham
- Photo: Anthony Martial pictured embracing Ralf Rangnick after Manchester United beat West Ham
- 'Absolutely incredible'… Some Manchester United fans react to star's display v West Ham