Manchester United’s reported interest in Dayot Upamecano has gone down very well with supporters.
This makes a lot of sense, given how impressive Upamecano was for Leipzig in their 2019/20 Champions League run.
He is a France international already and there are no better centre-backs aged 21 anywhere in world football.
The only issue is persuading RB Leipzig to sell – but it is possible, due to a release clause in his contract which kicks in next summer.
The price in the release clause is just £40 million. That is way below Upamecano’s true market value.
If United go in with a bid of around £60 million, it could be enough to persuade Leipzig to go in for an early sale.
He’s a wanted man
There are not many defenders United fans would rather see sign than Upamecano.
This was reflected in the overwhelmingly positive fan reaction to the transfer rumours.
Here is a look at a selection of the comments on social media urging United to find a way to get the deal done…
Perhaps the only downside to signing Upamecano is that he is not left-footed, but he ticks every other box.
Next summer every top club in Europe will be taking a look due to his £40 million release clause.
Moving now would beat the rush. It is good to hear United are taking a look at it.
- Predicted Manchester United line-up v Manchester City
- Manchester United’s plan to rely on Mason Greenwood may need to be re-assessed
- United loanee Jacob Carney wins player of the month award
- Lindelof says it is a joy to have Luke Shaw in the team
- Solskjaer says de Gea will miss the derby but expects him to be back available soon
- Victor Lindelof says he has been struggling with injury
- Report claims United want Bailly to prove his fitness before offering a new deal
- Some United fans unimpressed as club boast about TikTok growth in financial report
- Four ways for Solskjaer to shake up Manchester United XI for City clash