Axel Tuanzebe put in a very impressive performance in Manchester United’s 1-0 friendly win over Inter Milan.
He was selected to start alongside Victor Lindelöf, which was an encouraging sign.
We said early in pre-season that this would be the best way to get the measure of the youngster, playing alongside the Swede.
Tuanzebe looked composed, comfortable in possession, and alert to cut out danger.
He was able to carry the ball out of defence rather than just lump it away, and did not look out of place at all.
He was also a threat from set pieces.
This was a test the 21-year-old can say he passed with flying colours.
Speculation will rage on whether United will buy another centre-back this summer. Tuanzebe is decreasing the need to pay big.
Even if United do splash out for another defender, he has to be kept.
This was his second performance of pre-season, with United yet to concede a goal in three matches.
Tuanzebe is already a strong contender to start the first game of the season.
Mason Greenwood scored the winner for United after coming off the bench.
- Dan James needs to rediscover his best Manchester United form before possible Sancho battle
- Sanchez’s United exit reportedly close despite Conte uncertainty at Inter
- Michael Owen says he expects Manchester United to challenge for the title
- Manchester United fans predict Sancho deal will be announced on the 7th
- A look back at Ethan Laird’s statement of intent for United one year ago
- The cost of slashing Jack Grealish’s asking price may be one Solskjaer won’t want to consider