Manchester United fans react to Axel Tuanzebe's performance
Axel Tuanzebe put in a very impressive performance in Manchester United’s 1-0 friendly win over Inter Milan.
He was selected to start alongside Victor Lindelöf, which was an encouraging sign.
We said early in pre-season that this would be the best way to get the measure of the youngster, playing alongside the Swede.
Tuanzebe looked composed, comfortable in possession, and alert to cut out danger.
He was able to carry the ball out of defence rather than just lump it away, and did not look out of place at all.
He was also a threat from set pieces.
This was a test the 21-year-old can say he passed with flying colours.
Speculation will rage on whether United will buy another centre-back this summer. Tuanzebe is decreasing the need to pay big.
Even if United do splash out for another defender, he has to be kept.
This was his second performance of pre-season, with United yet to concede a goal in three matches.
Tuanzebe is already a strong contender to start the first game of the season.
Mason Greenwood scored the winner for United after coming off the bench.
- 'Disaster'… Manchester United loanee criticised after yet another injury
- Portugal international waiting on offer from Manchester United as Barcelona make move
- Manchester United eye cut-price move for £32m Champions League winner to partner De Jong
- 17-goal wonderkid, La Masia graduate: 3 FA Youth Cup winners Man Utd should loan out this summer
- Erik ten Hag's first five signings as Ajax manager including two former Premier League stars
- Five players Manchester United had very lucky escapes on including '£50m-valued midfielder'