Axel Tuanzebe put in a very impressive performance in Manchester United’s 1-0 friendly win over Inter Milan.
He was selected to start alongside Victor Lindelöf, which was an encouraging sign.
We said early in pre-season that this would be the best way to get the measure of the youngster, playing alongside the Swede.
Tuanzebe looked composed, comfortable in possession, and alert to cut out danger.
He was able to carry the ball out of defence rather than just lump it away, and did not look out of place at all.
He was also a threat from set pieces.
This was a test the 21-year-old can say he passed with flying colours.
Speculation will rage on whether United will buy another centre-back this summer. Tuanzebe is decreasing the need to pay big.
Even if United do splash out for another defender, he has to be kept.
This was his second performance of pre-season, with United yet to concede a goal in three matches.
Tuanzebe is already a strong contender to start the first game of the season.
Mason Greenwood scored the winner for United after coming off the bench.
- Joel Pereira makes good first impression on Hearts debut
- What went wrong against Wolves before and how can United avoid it?
- Viv Anderson calls on Manchester United to sign James Maddison
- Worry as Ethan Laird picks up injury for United under-23s
- Manchester United fans react to James Garner’s latest under-23 display
- What happened to the 15 players released by Manchester United?