Alex Telles played 66 minutes for Manchester United on his debut in Paris.
It was enough for him to make an impact and show what he was all about, in United’s Champions League opener.
Telles played in a wing-back role with United using a three-man defence, which also allowed him to do some closing down off the ball in midfield.
When he got the ball out wide, Telles whipped in a fantastic cross with his left foot, which just needed a powerhouse striker to head it in. Wait for Edinson Cavani.
Telles’ crossing ability extends to his corner taking. Particularly from the right side, where he can deliver dangerous in-swinging corners.
Scott McTominay almost scored two headers from his corners.
For fans who remember the dreary days of Phil Jones taking corners under Louis van Gaal, this is a world away.
United did not score from a Telles set piece last night, but it is only a matter of time. Harry Maguire in particular should embrace it.
Telles actually created three goalscoring chances in total, more than any player on the pitch – and he played just over an hour.
United paid just over £13 million to sign Telles in the end and his set piece deliveries are worth this fee alone.
This was a very competent debut from him and it will not be a surprise to see him start at the weekend against Chelsea.
For a first start for United, this could hardly have gone any better, with the team going on to win 2-1.
Here is a look at how United fans reacted to Telles’ performance…
- Facundo Pellistri sends message to United fans
- Can Arnau Puigmal develop as Juan Mata’s replacement?
- United fans call for Edinson Cavani to start
- Eric Bailly in full training ahead of Manchester United Champions League clash
- Solskjaer gives injury update on Paul Pogba
- ‘I really like him’…Juan Mata hails 19-year-old Manchester United talent
- A crucial period is looming for Brandon Williams
- Solskjaer took a team selection gamble which paid off
- Facundo Pellistri shows why Manchester United signed him