Manchester United fans react to Fred's performance v Liverpool
Many were surprised to see Fred named in Manchester United’s starting line up against Liverpool. Perhaps if there were better options, he would not have been.
Ole Gunnar Solskjaer called in the lead up to the match for United’s players to show the ‘spirit of Paris’, recalling the away win over PSG last season.
Fred was one of United’s best players that evening and he showed similar desire and work rate in Sunday’s 1-1 draw at Old Trafford.
There will always be doubts about Fred’s ability on the ball and whether he can inspire United’s attacking play.
Against Liverpool he proved a menace to the league leaders, positioning himself well off the ball to deny them space, while winning two tackles.
In possession he was pretty unambitious, making only 24 passes, the lowest of any United midfielder.
That’s the difference between him and Paul Pogba, who dictates the play and drives United forward, but in his role as spoiler against Liverpool, Fred’s performance was enough.
As part of a midfield trio along with Scott McTominay and Andreas Pereira he did his job and helped United earn a point. Really we should have had all three.
Fred had a late shot at goal with the score 1-0 which flashed narrowly wide. It could have changed everything.
Fred has had a lot of criticism directed at him over the past few weeks, with his price tag inviting pressure.
United supporters had some positive comments about the midfielder’s performance…
- A look at the last 8 Dutch managers to have managed in the Premier League following Ten Hag's arrival
- 'They need to play': Rangnick says two Manchester United players could leave on loan after ten Hag arrives
- Report: Cristiano Ronaldo and Manchester United teammate ruled out injured v Crystal Palace
- Report: Paul Pogba has decided his next club, final details being sorted on three-year contract
- 9 players who represented both Manchester United and Barcelona amid Dest links; including French World Cup winner