Manchester United star Marcus Rashford had to make do with a place on the bench for England for the third game in a row.
He was joined once again by Jadon Sancho, the Borussia Dortmund winger United are trying to buy.
Eventually both players made it on against the Czech Republic, with Sancho tasting international tournament action for the first time.
When they did make it on, with Sancho sent on in the 83rd minute, it was notable how he quickly linked up with Rashford.
Both players interchanged passes down the right hand side, leading to a shot at goal from the centre, before Jordan Henderson prodded in, before the goal was ruled out for offside.
For United supporters, this was all we needed to see. Rashford and Sancho are close pals off the pitch and their link up on it was a tantalising glimpse of the future.
Social media went into mini meltdown in typical over the top fashion. But after waiting two years to see Sancho and Rashford together in Manchester United red, the excitement was inevitable…
Bit-part players for England
Euro 2020 has not gone to plan individually for Rashford or Sancho just yet.
Rashford has played 58 minutes and Sancho just seven.
The omens were not good for either that both were substitutes, even with Phil Foden rested and Mason Mount self-isolating.
From a Rashford perspective this is not bad. He needs rest after a long season and this preserves him for next season.
For Sancho, this demonstrated that he may need a move to the Premier League to get the chances he deserves at international level.
There was no logical reason to leave him out of the side for Bukayo Saka, but Gareth Southgate has his preferences, and Sancho may need a change of scenery, and a move to Old Trafford, to kick on.
- Manchester United set to resume training
- Charlie McCann sends message after leaving Manchester United
- United announce Rashford is set for surgery on shoulder injury
- Raphael Varane says goodbye to Real Madrid after agreeing to join United
- Photos: Sancho features as Manchester United officially release new 2021/22 away kit
- Report provides update on United’s Covid situation after Preston friendly is cancelled
- Alejandro Garnacho grabs brace in Manchester United under-18s win over Tottenham
- Laurent Blanc said it was ‘an honour’ to be compared to Raphael Varane
- Logan Pye signs Manchester United pro contract
- Harry Maguire pictured enjoying holiday abroad