Good news for Manchester United as Bruno Fernandes' Portugal knocked out
Bruno Fernandes and Portugal are out of Euro 2020 after a 1-0 defeat to Belgium.
While bitterly disappointing for the midfielder, from a Manchester United point of view, it is a big positive.
Fernandes has not looked himself at the tournament and began the last 16 game on the bench.
While he came on in the 55th minute and created two chances, he is not at his very best and has just played too much football over the past year.
This was his 85th game for club and country inside the last 13 months. It’s just too much.
Now Fernandes can have a well deserved holiday with his family and rest ahead of pre-season, when he will be permitted to return late.
He should get a minimum of two weeks off before returning to Carrington, and this rest is going to be needed.
The Portuguese international could have had another fortnight of action at Euro 2020 if his country had made the final.
This means Fernandes will be in better shape for the start of the Premier League season on August 14 when United face Leeds at Old Trafford.
This international defeat is disappointing for Fernandes but ultimately it is in his interests to have a rest now. It’s what he needs.
United fans rejoice
- Manchester United's possible midfield solution could finally make career-changing breakthrough this weekend
- Report: £63m Manchester United target's fiancee 'desperate' to stay put
- 'Could be good for United'… French expert says £19m star could thrive under Ten Hag
- £35m star's possible Manchester United move spells trouble for two Red Devils stars
- Midfield star Rangnick recommended is available: Manchester United would be fools not to sign him
- Attacking star Ten Hag managed asks lawyer to find new club amid Manchester United links
- New twist in future of Manchester United star with no goals in nearly 7 months
- £35m star is ideal signing and Manchester United have already made a crucial error
- Report suggests Manchester United could sign midfield star who's 'better than Pogba' for £42 million
- 21-year-old Manchester United ace set for season-long loan to Championship side after initial move collapses