Manchester United youngster Will Fish captains England under-19s to win
Manchester United youngster Will Fish captained England’s under-19s to a win at the weekend.
England beat Mexico 3-1 in a game played in sunny Marbella, Spain.
Fish had represented England previously at under-17s and under-18s levels and this step up to the under-19s was another move forward in his development.
Fish, 18, was the only Manchester United player involved in the game, with Shola Shoretire an unused substitute.
England’s under-19s face Belgium on Tuesday in their final game of the international break.
Manchester United teammates praised Fish on social media, as did former academy coach Nicky Butt.
How is Will Fish’s season going?
Fish made his Manchester United debut in the Premier League last season against Wolves.
After featuring in pre-season he was sent out on loan to non-league side Stockport County.
The idea was for Fish to get a season of ‘men’s football’ under his belt as opposed to under-23s.
So far the loan is not going exactly to plan. Fish has only played in two league matches out of a possible 11.
He has 84 minutes of game time so far, with the most recent appearance coming as a substitute back on September 14.
The international games are a good time for Fish to get some minutes, before he returns to his club to try and kick on.
If United are not satisfied with his game time by January then a decision will likely be made to recall him.
- Erik ten Hag's first five signings as Ajax manager including two former Premier League stars
- Five players Manchester United had very lucky escapes on including '£50m-valued midfielder'
- Long-serving Manchester United academy coach set to leave as behind the scenes changes continue
- 'We are going to win trophies'… Manchester United star optimistic about silverware next season
- 5 free agents Manchester United could sign this summer including Rangnick's international DM and '£85m' Italy striker
- 'He delivers'… Steve McClaren is a huge fan of 25-year-old Manchester United midfielder
- 'Every detail'… Erik ten Hag says he has a 'good feeling' about Manchester United
- 17-year-old wonderkid 'expected' to go on Manchester United pre-season tour
- Ten Hag's first Ajax XI star gives 7-word brutal truth on Dutchman's Manchester United chances