Jadon Sancho was one of the stars in Rome as England sauntered to a 4-0 Euro 2020 quarter-final win over Ukraine.
While Luke Shaw and Harry Maguire took plenty of plaudits for their performances, Sanchos’ was inspirational for one young United attacker.
United academy star Alejandro Garnacho posted an image of Sancho on Instagram, hailing him as an idol.
The big picture view here is that it highlights the impact Sancho’s transfer will have at all levels of the football club.
As role models go, Garnacho’s situation can be compared with Sancho’s.
Sancho left his homeland at a young age when he quit City to pursue a career abroad with Borussia Dortmund. It has been a big success.
Garnacho did similar last summer when he quit Atletico Madrid’s academy to join United.
The Spaniard featured regularly for United’s under-18s side and had a productive season, scoring seven goals, the third highest total in the squad. He will be hoping that these numbers will go even higher next season.
MORE UNITED STORIES
Garnacho turned 17 a few days ago. It’s unclear whether he will remain with the under-18s another year or be pushed up into the 23s, or possibly a bit of both.
Seeing one of his idols, Sancho, join the club will help him feel even more like he made the right decision making the move to Manchester. With a bit of luck and good work on his part, Garnacho will get the chance to train alongside Sancho before long.
- Ally McCoist blown away by ‘dream’ moment from Jonny Evans
- Marcus Rashford was in a ‘horror’ car accident after Burnley match – one teammate came to his aid
- Opinion: Ten Hag ruthless decision to axe star paid off, his relentless replacement was upgrade
- ‘Erratic’ Man Utd star embarrassingly has fewer touches than Andre Onana vs Burnley
- Casemiro and Diogo Dalot send messages to Man Utd fans after 1-0 win
- MUTV pundit gives honest verdict on Man Utd disallowed goal
- 91 per cent passing accuracy and 8 clearances: Manchester United man makes major impact
- Sofyan Amrabat sends message to Man Utd fans, Bruno Fernandes responds
- Ten Hag reacts to Hannibal Mejbri’s Manchester United display