Manchester United last week agreed a deal to sign Manchester City youngster Charlie McNeil, The Telegraph reported.
McNeill is a highly rated young striker who will go into the club’s academy side.
He joins left-back Reece Devine in the academy, another youngster who left City for United in 2018.
Another player who could make a circumvented route to Old Trafford from City is Jadon Sancho.
Sancho left City in 2017 to join Borussia Dortmund, to try and fast-track his career. It worked. Now he is being linked with a £108 million move to United [The Mail].
Where Sancho’s departure from City is fascinating to look back on, is that McNeill was one of the players tipped to step up and replace him as a breakthrough prospect.
Tipped for the top
Goal.com reported in an article titled, ‘Brahim and Sancho gone – but Man City have other teenage sensations’:
“McNeill is just 14 but has been making a name for himself in the City academy for the past few years.
“The tall forward has proven to be impressive with both feet and has scored a bagful of goals at all junior levels: 110 goals and 38 assists in 72 games for City’s U15s and England‘s U16s.
“Those familiar with the City youth set-up believe he is one of the best prospects of any age group and is definitely one to keep an eye on in the coming years.”
United won a scrap for McNeill’s signature against a number of clubs across Europe, The Telegraph reported.
McNeill is not a ready made player for the first team, yet. He will have to shine for the under-18s and under-23s under Nicky Butt in order to get his chance under Ole Gunnar Solskjaer.
If he can fulfil his potential then the idea of him linking up with Mason Greenwood is an exciting prospect.
It is even possible he could end up linking up with Sancho, and leaving City fans wondering what might have been.
- Charlie Savage tries claiming deflected own goal and his teammates are not having it
- Ex United duo Falcao and Bebe combine to net late winner for La Liga side
- Teden Mengi produces captain’s performance in EFL Trophy win
- What is Cristiano Ronaldo’s penalty record for Manchester United?
- Ethan Galbraith impresses in cameo role to help Doncaster beat City U21s
- What channel is the Man Utd vs West Ham EFL Cup match on? Kick off time, live stream and latest team news
- Solskjaer says Rashford could return after international break
- Bruno Fernandes’ creative numbers compare well with Paul Pogba despite assist gap
- Lothar Matthaus praises Ronaldo’s Manchester United transfer