Charlie McNeill makes Manchester United under-23s debut
While Manchester United’s under-23 side suffered a defeat to Everton last night, the game was a significant one for young striker Charlie McNeill.
The teenager’s outstanding under-18s form was rewarded with a debut for the under-23s.
McNeill came on for the final 20 minutes with United trailing 3-1, replacing Joe Hugill.
Reward for good form
It was only a matter of time before McNeill made his debut for the under-23s.
He has 12 goals for the under-18s this season to date including a four-goal haul against former club Manchester City in his last appearance.
The under-18s didn’t have a game at the weekend so this was an ideal time to get him involved.
McNeill did not fare any better than Joe Hugill did against a well-drilled Everton defence.
He worked hard and showed a few nice touches around the penalty area, although space was a premium and he did not get any chances.
This was a step in the right direction for him and it will be the first of many chances he gets for the under-23s over the next year.
Dillon Hoogewerf also had a chance
Young forward Dillon Hoogewerf stepped up to make just his second under-23 appearance of the season.
Hoogewerf replaced Arnau Puigmal who suffered an early injury in the first half.
The Dutch forward played well, creating one good chance for Joe Hugill in the second half and then crashing a goalbound shot towards the top corner which was somehow tipped onto the post by Everton’s goalkeeper.
This chance came with the score at 1-1 and it was a game-changing moment. Hoogewerf was unlucky not to score his first under-23 goal and then Everton went up the other end and netted shortly after.
- Luka Modric reacts as Casemiro move to Manchester United confirmed
- Real Madrid confirm Casemiro sale to Manchester United in emotional statement, and announce tribute plan
- Raphael Varane reacts as Manchester United announce Casemiro deal
- 3 reasons £59.7m Manchester United target is better signing than Frenkie de Jong
- 36-year-old coach sits top of league table having left Manchester United last season
- XI players linked with Manchester United moves this week; featuring left-footed Premier League ace
- 'Really good player': Klopp praises star with no PL starts for Manchester United since May 2021
- 'Here we go': Manchester United have full agreement on Casemiro, says Romano
- 'Really wants the move': £67.6m Player wants to join Manchester United, not giving up, says Romano
- 'Back in training': Ten Hag confirms United attacker could face Liverpool, rules teammate out